Friday, January 27, 2017

On the Igishigishigi Trail in Nyungwe Forest

From Amélie:

I wonder what makes milk from « Amen House of Milk » special ?
Would Kitt make it as a rapper called « Big-ishigishigi » ?
Is a 99,000$ (yes, dollars, as Kyle would put it) one-week gym membership really worth ?
What is the password for the Serena network « Jusus Is King » and would Jusus really lock his network ?
Would Céline Dion win « Guma Guma », Rwanda’s version of American Idol ?

These and many other things I pondered on a daily basis during my whirlwind second stint in Rwanda. This trip was imagined and planned on a cold December morning when I was working with Patty in the pain clinic block room. I hesitated at first, given that I am in the middle of the process of studying for my Royal College exam. I couldn’t, however, decline this wonderful invitation to join Patty, Kitt and Kyle in this place that I had so enjoyed in 2015. I’m very grateful for them and for everyone in the chronic pain clinic, where I had been scheduled, who made it possible for me to do this.

Rwanda is quirky at first. Names like Amen House of Milk and New Facebook bar are not very unusual for commercial establishments. The Kinyarwanda word for fern, igishigishigi, is really fun. The exchange rate for Rwanda francs is crazy and Céline Dion is everywhere. I love it. But what strikes me most, like during my last trip, is the pride with which people here carry themselves. This may sound trite, but although some people here may not have much, they are proud. And I think it’s admirable.

We’ve spent the past two days teaching the Essential Pain Management course in Huye. Despite some language barriers between us, I have hope that participants will disseminate their knowledge and knock down other barriers to pain management in Rwanda. As I sit by a roaring fire in a beautiful Nyungwe rain forest hotel, I feel very lucky to have been here this week. Back to real life tomorrow but I know these thoughts I take home with me again will carry me through these next few long months.

Love,

Amélie


Happy Amélie


Nyungwe Forest after a hard rain



Canopy walk


Our team in peace


A roadside friend (mountain monkey)




1 comment:

  1. Just finished my weekly catchup on the blog. Such an interesting country and proud people. Thanks for your updates.

    ReplyDelete