Sunday, July 21, 2013

Steven's story

I am in Rwanda with Michelle, Jill and Keith.  Michelle, who runs the skills centre at home, was with me in February and has put her heart and soul into helping establish the sim and skills centre in Kigali.  She is completely passionate about creating situations where health professionals can learn and practice in the best way possible.  She is thrilled to be back in Rwanda and I'm grateful for her wonderful energy.

Jill and Keith have just completed their training in Urology and General Surgery respectively and are about to start jobs in August.  For a long time they've wanted to make a contribution to global health and agreed to join us in Rwanda.  They will help teach a basic surgical skills course at the sim centre in a couple of days.  It has been delightful to have their perky, enthusiastic energy.

Last night we had dinner at the Khana Khazana Indian restaurant with my friend Steven.  He is the young man Genevieve and I met at the memorial site in 2008.  Steven is now in third year law school and working during the days at a law firm.  Today he was kind enough to take Jill and Keith to the memorial in his home in Nyamata.  They all joined Michelle and me mid-afternoon and I asked Steven to tell his story about his experiences in the genocide and with forgiveness.  I cannot possibly do justice to his tale, so I won't try.  Suffice to say we listened attentively in awe of his ability to recount, to use metaphor and to heal.  He has learned much about forgiveness and is now helping his surviving family members to overcome their grief and pain.  Once again, we encouraged Steven to write his story. It should be shared widely.

We have a busy week coming up.  I will finally meet my pain management colleague, Roger, who is joining us from Australia.  We've know each other for years, collaborated on curriculum, and spoken often on skype but have never met.  He is coming to teach the Essential Pain Management course.

As always, the days here are full and magical.
View from my bedroom window this morning
Jill and Keith



Michelle hard at work preparing for the next course
Steven and me



No comments:

Post a Comment