Sunday, February 2, 2014

Mat's thoughts on Butare


Butare is a gem.  Great teaching, great hospital, great staff great residents, great Fanta, great samosas. What else do you want? How about coffee? Well guess what? They have that too! Possibly the best cappuccino in the world. Yep, the world. In Rwanda. Amazing. They need to have a "to go" system. Because the guy that works at café connexion is certifiable (like the coffee).  Also, he described his business model to me. It reminded me of my lemonade stand (sell refreshing lemonade for less than cost and then have dad bail me out).

Anyway, split my time between the residents in Butare. Great trauma cases deftly handled. And one of the residents did their first ultrasound guided popliteal block! It was like he had been doing it for 20 years. NBD.

What a time we had in the jungle!  The only bad part is karma has final caught up with me. I believe the GI gods (AKA Zeus god of thunder) punished me for my earlier comments about Dr. S.  Yeesh. Nothing a stat infusion of Serena won’t fix!

With any luck you will only have to read about 2 more of these from me.

Bam.

M

No comments:

Post a Comment