Sunday, January 13, 2019

cycling in the hills of Rwanda

From Stephen:

We are now one week into our visit to Rwanda and as I consider possible topics for my first reflection, I am stunned at the volume of experiences I have enjoyed in even this short time. Saturday morning, I awoke to find myself in the Africa Rising Cycling Club. We had ahead of us a 44km cycling trip that Patty promised us wouldn’t be too arduous. Knowing the cycling accomplishments of Patty and the CASIEF volunteers before me, I was nonetheless nervous. In my fretting, I was amazed to discover the many ways this trip itself represents the progression of a cycle.

For myself, this Rwandan visit represents the expression of what drew me to medicine in the first place. In my first week of medical school, with Patty as my case tutor, I recall her prodding us to consider what we could contribute to the global work of medicine. I now find myself in Kigali taking my first, imperfect attempts at teaching fellow residents. I have so much farther to go in my own learning, but I couldn’t escape the feeling that the arc of my own cycle is turning.

Setting out from Africa Rising, likewise palpable was the sense that this place represented the changing of a season for Rwanda too. I wouldn’t claim to understand the nuance of history, but the optimism of this cycle centre was inspiring. As we prepared for our own modest cycling trip, the Rwandan national cycling team played host to the Nigerian national team and trained with a goal no less ambitious than winning the Africa Cup. Having previously captured bronze and silver, their sights were set squarely on the gold for 2019. The momentum of the Rwandan cycling team truly captured something of the spirit of Rwanda itself. Indeed, the Rwandan team finished their +200km race from Ruhengeri to Kigali and back before we finished our own modest trip.

In its own way, CASIEF’s sustained partnership in Rwanda is witnessing the completion of its cycle. The accomplishments and talent on display every day in our interactions with the Rwandan residents speaks to their dedication as well as the coordinated work of many, many CASIEF volunteers before me. From the Simulation Centre, to curriculum renewal, and to the many relationships I myself have built with visiting Rwandan residents in Halifax, the work of this programme runs deep. As CASIEF ponders its next steps in Rwanda, the sentiment that CASIEF’s own cycle is turning is unmistakable.

Like my visit to Rwanda itself, our own cycling trip exceeded all expectations. Flanked by small crowds of curious children, we cycled the beautiful volcanic terrain to a waiting lunch on Ruhondo Island. The pictures below fail to do the vistas justice. As we finally settle back into our apartment in Kigali, I’m excited to consider what our next week has in store.


Rwandan cycling team prepares for a training ride 

Dave at the base of the volcanos

View from our lunch venue

2 comments:

  1. I can only imagine how fun it must have been to cycle in Rwanda - what a nice way to see the country

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous Stephan.....that ride is spectacular and I am so happy to hear your tale.

    ReplyDelete