Sunday, January 18, 2015

Blame it on the ma-a-a-a-a-a—larone

Our first work week finished with a fantastic first session of Patty’s Teaching and Learning Course expertly delivered by herself and Dr Théo. Again, the session was very well received and all participants were enthusiastic. It was, however, time to get out of the operating room as I was three for three in terms of days when it was necessary to manage emergencies. It was also time to get out of Kigali, with its frantic pace of life. I haven’t been able to get a good night’s sleep since being here, which I attribute to the malarone, a malaria prophylaxis medication. I also suspect it’s making Patty a bit manic.

A snapshot of the weekend:

BBQ potatoes with “akabanga” hot sauce are the best food ever.

Staff at Paradis Malahide are unforgettable and most energetic (they literally run to get your order).

If a Rwandan tour guide who doesn’t speak English tells you the rest of the hike will be short, don’t be fooled but do it anyway; it’ll be unforgettable.

I fell in love with the town of Gisenyi, on the shore of lake Kivu, and I have a new BFF, Dosine.

I got my first marriage proposal followed shortly by the second one, although the thought of moving to Goma, in the Democratic Republic of Congo, isn’t all that enthralling.

I almost busted white girl dance moves at a great beachside bar, Tam Tam.

Gorilla farts are enough to discourage even the most fervent animal lover.

“This road has always been one way, but maybe for today, they changed it.” – Kigali taxi driver

Hiking near Gisenyi

Dosine is in the middle

Bonding the gorillas



No comments:

Post a Comment