Saturday, January 31, 2015

Worms, amoebas and Texans

I’ve just made it back to Kigali after a week with Patty in Butare and a weekend in Nyungwe forest with Emmy.

Butare is a bit of an aggressive city when compared to Kigali but the daily vervet monkey sightings made up for its shortcomings. Working with the residents there was delightful and we made a new American friend, Stephanie, one of the HRH anaesthetists. Patty and I discovered a wonderful trail to hike through the University of Rwanda’s campus arboretum.

Nyungwe was surprisingly… crowded. For a rain forest. I walked the canopy (designed by Canadians!) yesterday with a group of about 50 Rwandans, for whom I seemed to be a complete novelty. I was again the whitest of white girls. My sunblock almost caused a riot. Most people had never seen any.

I hiked a gorgeous trail to a waterfall today with another interesting group. There were people from all over including a fascinating family from Texas. Despite having lived in Africa for over 3 years, the father braved the trail in sandals and had to be counselled not to drink the waterfall water.

Having dodged the amoebas, though, I’ve just had 5 street goat brochettes for dinner. I’ll be ok.  Right?

Amélie


Rwandan hillside

Baboon on the road to Nyungwe

Canopy walk

Mountain monkey in tea plantation

Tea harvest

Amélie on the famous resident rock

Waterfall in Nyungwe Forest

No comments:

Post a Comment