Saturday, February 11, 2017

Ana Feb 7

Howdy friends and fam!

Turns out I think there is something fun about sleeping under a mosquito net every night.  Now I equate it to building forts as a kid, but that was not the case the first few years I was here. In the beginning, I was more focused on the creepy, crawly, buzzing, biting, nightmare bugs that were undoubtedly trying to get in.  In fact, I have found myself more relaxed regarding just about everything. The people, the language, the culture, the insane traffic speeding through the winding streets; none of those things seem as foreign to me now.  Now it is comfortable, and I am again imagining I could live here for quite some time.

It's hot and humid.  Around 60 degrees at night, the days are heating up to over 80 degrees with around 95-100% humidity (that's Bama hot, ya'll ;).   After work yesterday Cynthia (the Stanford anesthesia resident I am mentoring) and I headed to the Serena Hotel so I could join their gym and spa and we could lounge around on their big comfortable chairs and couches siphoning off their wifi.  I attempted a pathetic workout but was really short of breath just walking around. I am clearly still jet lagged and affected by the altitude. We ate dinner at the hotel, one of the only places I trust eating a salad without getting sick.

Monday was our first academic/lectures day which might have been the best yet.  Every year there are huge improvements in the teaching methods and this year is no different.  I supervised a Rwandan anesthesia resident but he did such an excellent job preparing and leading the discussion, my contributions were confined to writing the pertinent information on a white board.  Most impressive was that he didn't use a single powerpoint slide.  Two years ago we would have all been put to sleep by the monotonous tone of some resident reading from their slides.  

We had an hour and a half for lunch which is pretty standard here. We went to the Camelia Tea House with my friend Paulin who is the residency director here.  Some of you may recall he stayed in my apartment in Sausalito this past summer during is first visit to the US for a conference.  He raved about his stay when he was introducing me to the new residents.  Paulin remembers my big brother, Gregor and his big truck.  He always laughs and says he is a "real American man."  In the afternoon Cynthia and I led two stations in the simulation center.  One station Cynthia simulated a patient with airway problems and the other station I gave a chalk talk on mechanical ventilators.  It's thrilling every time you see comprehension spread across the students faces.  I miss teaching.

Today was a clinical teaching day.  Cynthia went to the operating room to work with some residents there, and I spent the day rounding with a team of residents and medical students.  We had 7 patients in the ICU and 3 patients in a step-down, or lower acuity unit.  All of the patients except two had brain damage after being in a motor vehicle accident.  That is actually most dangerous thing about being in Rwanda, and most low-income countries actually.  The lack of organized traffic flow and laws puts cars and busses and bicycles and pedestrians and mototaxis all in a big pot together to fend for themselves.  I have even seen the mototaxis come up on the sidewalks.  Pedestrians definitely do not have the right of way.  One of the patients coded and died while we were rounding which is more rare in the US, but unfortunately all too common here.  The ICU is the one place which sees only minimal improvements over the years, and where I will be spending most of my time these next two weeks.

Last night I went to bed early, but woke up at 2am.  Tonight's plan is dinner at the Serena followed by a yoga class with Cynthia at the gym.  I hoping for better sleep tonight.  

I miss and love you all, but am enjoying my team here as always.

XO


Ana

No comments:

Post a Comment