Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Ana hike to Dian Fossey's tomb

Sunday was the anticipated day that Cynthia, Amy, and Tommy were able to trek gorillas.  It is always so fun to see how amazed and excited people are after spending time with gorillas.  They all have uncontrollable smiles and an obsession with reviewing the gorilla pictures on their phones or cameras. It really is a surreal indescribable experience.  I did a new hike to Dian Fossey's tomb, which was a lovely nature hike half way up the hike Ive done the past two years to the crater lake at the top of the Bisoke volcano.  It was a good test and metric of my cardiovascular fitness because I found myself way more fatigued than the past two years.  I guess that's what happens when you quit running long distances.

Monday was another successful academic day including lunch with a resident and his faculty mentor to discuss their research project design.  In the afternoon after teaching, we met with four of the residents chosen for US rotations, and the program director, Paulin.  We spent an hour discussing how to succeed in the US Embassy Visa interview.  After the meeting, which was held at the Serena hotel, I made use of the gym (to improve my volcano hiking endurance) for a run.  

I decided to grab dinner at the Serena so that I could hang around the good wifi until 9pm in order to call (FaceTime) New Zealand on a phone interview for a possible job starting this summer.  It would be a temporary job for 3-6 months, but one where I would be able to do anesthesia, ICU, and teach.  It would also allow me to learn more about another healthcare system which would inform my opinions at home, and my global health perspective.  The distraction will also be nice while I figure out what I want from my next job at home.  Unfortunately I couldn't make the phone call work on the cellular network, on FaceTime, or on Viber.  I guess I will just have to wait longer - not my forte.

This week we are working at CHUK and then Kanombe, which is the military hospital in Kigali.  Most importantly, my best friend since childhood, Jaime arrives this Thursday!!!!  We are planning to go to Nyungwe national park which is the rainforest.  I can't wait to share Rwanda with her.  

Lots of love, big hugs, and yummy chocolate for you all!

Ana

No comments:

Post a Comment