Saturday, February 11, 2017

Ana Feb 9

Hello again and XOXO

We asked Christophe to buy a few food items from the market and he returned with the most gorgeous vegetables.  I have been really loving sautéing peppers, onions, tomatoes and zucchini in the morning and then throwing an egg on top.  I have also been drinking a ton of Rwanda's amazing tea.  Impressively, I've only had one coffee since I arrived.

Tuesday was spent at King Faisal hospital, which is the private hospital for people with money and extra insurance above the mandatory governmental sponsored program.  The hospital itself is vastly different from the public academic centers because of the resources available for patient care.  Certain labs, X-rays, medications, and personnel not available at CHUK (public-Kigali) are readily available at King Faisal.  In fact, because these resources are available, they are over used.  I rounded in the ICU with the team and several times recommended that stop checking certain labs and stop certain medications that were unnecessary.

The team of residents and students were different from the team at CHUK, so I again gave a talk about mechanical ventilators, which everyone always likes because it is a topic that confuses most trainees, and some faculty.  Not all of the trainees do an official rotation in ICU and when they do, they are taught by faculty who are not specialized in ICU.  So, I am in high demand, and loving talking about and teaching some of my favorite topics.  It's gratifying.

After work, Cynthia went to an art gallery that was started and features mostly the work of two Rwandan brothers, Emmanuel Nkuranga and Innocent Nkurunziza.  They re pretty famous around here abroad.  They have a a few galleries around town and do some interesting work.  
Check them out: http://inemaartcenter.com

I went back to the apartment to meet up with Francoise, who graduated the anesthesia program last year with the highest marks of her class.  She is an amazing physician and is now doing well as a faculty member in the department. She just had a baby two months ago, so I delivered some donated items to her (Thanks, Annie!).

Afterward, I went again to the Serena hotel to force an interval workout but I...am....sooooo...tired still.  I'm guessing it will take a few more days.  Cynthia met me in the Serena lobby lounge and we headed to Heaven.  Heaven is a restaurant own by some San Franciscans that sits up on a hill and has a lovey view.  The dining area is essentially a huge covered outdoor deck and is very well done.  The food is creative and good and a perfect mix of Rwanda and the US.  Heaven also has a boutique hotel that I will be checking out after my friend Jaime arrives on the 16th.

Ok, that's the most of it!  We are headed back to King Faisal again this morning for more ICU and teaching.

Love you!

Ana


No comments:

Post a Comment