Friday, January 23, 2015

Michelle's wrap up

Hi everyone,
 
After planning for  year with Jocelyne for the nurses training in Rwanda I can't believe the journey is over.
Yesterday  was the final assessment of the nurses skills and then "graduation"...and what a celebration it was!
Very bittersweet as we congratulated them...we are so proud of each of them but very sad to say goodbye.   
At one point they broke out into Rwandan song and dance, this white person looked like Elaine from Seinfeld trying to bust a move with them.
 
From everyone's point of view the program was a  great success.  The difficulty going forward is the nursing shortage here.  But the OR nurses are now empowered with knowledge and so excited to put their new skills to work.
 
I could not have asked for a  better colleague to do this mission with...Jocelyne was amazing.  Her wonderful husband Brian was a huge support for both of us.
I have vowed not to come back to Rwanda unless my husband is with me....I really need to share these experiences with him.
 
I am poolside at the Serena Hotel enjoying my day off and once again reflecting on how lucky I am to have this time in Rwanda and to have all of you in my life.
 
xo michelle







No comments:

Post a Comment