Tuesday, January 13, 2015

#whitestofwhitegirls

Finally a post from Amelie (graded assertiveness was needed):

That is what I would call my African experience blog, if I had one. For a few reasons.

First, the feeling of a hundred and fifty pairs of eyes staring when I walk down the street is a little unnerving and entirely foreign. Patty reassures me that this is something one gets used to with time.

I also didn’t expect to be facing Rwanda for the first time with only the clothes I got on the plane with, my computer and a few books. Our luggage was delayed, leaving us with very little to take on our first four days here. We’ve made it through unscathed and, tonight, as I took everything out of my very full backpack, all the stuff somehow seemed superfluous. Yet, I am so very happy to reunite with my hair products. See below for a picture of what a white girl does to a closet.

Patty and I went shopping for a few dresses to wear until our luggage arrived.  Paradoxically, I felt like I stood out even more in those beautifully patterned African fabrics.

All this being said, our first two days of working with the Rwandan residents have been wonderful. They gave us a warm welcome and were very eager participants for the first academic day Patty and I had planned. Their enthusiasm is infectious and I am truly excited to work with each resident one on one in the operating room. Everyone else I have met so far has been just as welcoming and keen to show me what a great country Rwanda is.  We’re very lucky!





No comments:

Post a Comment