Friday, January 9, 2015

on the way to Rwanda

Amélie and I are sitting in Starbucks in Istanbul airport blearily trying to come to our senses after the long flight from Toronto, and Halifax before that.  I am thrilled to be travelling to Rwanda with Amélie as my companion this year.  She is a bright resident, loved by all our anesthesia department. 

It is with mixed emotions that I return to Rwanda.  There are so many struggles and disappointments.  I learned yesterday that the simulation centre, which took great effort to establish, is now filled with boxes.  Michelle is planning to run an intense educational course for operating room nurses in the sim centre starting on Monday.  There could be some very busy cleaning days ahead. 

Despite the glitches, foreseen and unexpected, I am drawn back to Rwanda year after year for the incredible people and the hope that I can make as small contribution to improving anesthesia practice in the country. I love the people and the country and now consider Rwanda my second home.  This will be my eight time in Rwanda but Amélie’s first visit to Africa. We talked last night about relaxing our expectations…

Amélie having Turkish coffee in Istanbul

1 comment:

  1. I'm sure that you, Amélie and Michelle have worked your magic and the Centre is shining and filled with excitement after day 1 of Michelle's course! Onward!

    ReplyDelete