Monday, January 22, 2018

At last, a blog post from Stew!

Days since arriving in Rwanda: 17
VAST courses completed: 2
Near-death experiences with motos: 22
Kilometers travelled by bicycle: 40
Number of times Patty has asked me to write a blog post: 1,438… 1,439 (just got another email) ;)

Rwanda has been dubbed ‘the land of a thousand hills’. It’s a lie. It’s the land of a million hills. The tall-tale about having to walk uphill both ways to school probably originated here, and is likely rooted in some element of truth. My wife, Allison, crashed her bike going downhill during our 40km tour of the northern part of Rwanda. 10 minutes later, she got a flat tire on the same hill!
Ambulatory struggles aside, Rwanda is absolutely breathtaking. Villages snake up the hillsides, ribbons of road follow the natural topography of the land, and everywhere you look you are surrounded by some of the lushest and greenest flora that you’ll ever see. The capital city of Kigali is also uniquely beautiful in its own right. While urban planning and a sensible layout of roadways is essentially non-existent, Kigali is exceptionally clean and hosts a variety of unique and charming neighbourhoods – each with its own characteristic vibe. It’s a wonderful city to explore on foot and there are countless sights to see and things to do.
The people of Rwanda are also wonderful, but there’s one big hurdle you have to get over once you first arrive here. Have you ever had a dream where everyone is staring at you? You know the type of dream I’m talking about… It’s the one where you have a long string of toilet paper stuck to your shoe and, as you walk through the halls of your high school, literally every person you walk past stops and stares. Well, that’s exactly what happens in Rwanda. I’m not talking about quick glances. I’m talking about full on, 180 degree head turns whilst scanning you up and down. I haven’t gotten used to it yet, and I don’t think I ever will. What I have come to realize, however, is that these stares are largely based in an immense amount of curiosity. A quick smile or a friendly “hello” is enough to break the analytical stares and engage the warm and friendly personalities underneath. Not once have I waved, smiled, or said “hello” to a single person here and not had a reciprocal reaction 10x more enthusiastic than my initial delivery.
I have been exceptionally fortunate to have been able to help facilitate the VAST (Vital Anesthesia Simulation Training) pilot course and participate in weekly resident teaching sessions. I’ve also gotten multiple opportunities to participate in teaching in the ORs at CHUK. What an experience that has been. Resourcefulness and ingenuity are absolutely essential in order to be a functional anesthesiologist in this setting, and the Rwandan residents are experts in both of these regards. I liken my experience in the operating rooms to experiences I’ve had in multiple restaurants around Kigali…

(One example of an actual event)
Me: *looking at a menu containing 14 different types of omelettes* “I’ll have the Spanish omelette please”
Waitress: “No, we don’t have that one”
Me: “Ok, no problem. I’ll have the ham and cheese omelette instead”
Waitress: “No. We have cheese omelette, or plain omelette. You can have plain omelette”
Me: “Sooooo do I actually get a choice? Actually, I’ll just get scrambled eggs”

The moral of the story: In the OR - just like in the restaurants - you can ask for it, but it doesn’t mean you’re going to get it; you’d best be prepared to compromise and make the most out of alternative options available to you.
            To date, my time in Rwanda has been everything I’ve hoped it would be. My interest in global health – which, prior to this elective, was primarily idealistic - has been reinforced with real world experience, excitement, and intrigue. Participating in global health initiatives is no longer just a pipe-dream, but something I have experience in and plan on fully incorporating into my future practice.  



Our lively Jeopardy game at academic day

Resident initiative, getting ready for VAST week 3

           


No comments:

Post a Comment