Saturday, January 9, 2016

Michelle's update

Happy weekend Canada,
it is a special day in Rwanda as we celebrate Patty's birthday.  I am eternally grateful to her for introducing me to this country which has changed my life.

We are back in Kigali so the frustrations of internet are reduced in half.
I hope the photos get through easily this round.

We finished our adventures in the Lake Kivu area with an incredible hike on Wednesday and then we were thrilled to a surprise afternoon of soccer by our Gisenyi friends.  This is a group of 4 teams coached by Fausten who we have brought soccer gear to in the past.  Everything has been kept immaculate and used with respect and gratitude.  The soccer pitch is stunning on the shore of Lake Kivu.  It has a crazy slope,  goats running through the field and people diving into the lake to retrieve the ball.  I was very happy to see a few girls now playing with the group.  Fausten insisted I play a bit with the big boys....just to empower the girls.  If this old lady can do it so can they.  I called for my sub after 2 minutes :)
Derek will be returning to that area next weekend and will be delivering many more supplies to the team.  He did an amazing job collecting cleats, balls and goalie gloves.  And Dartmouth United jerseys will be everywhere in Rwanda soon.

When we got back to Kigali our dear, dear friend Christophe took Derek and I to the market to stock up on fruit.  This helped us not get charged "muzungo" prices.  4 mango $1.  

We got to work at the hospital yesterday.  Great to see the Simulation Centre in good shape but it is not the same without Angelique running it.  Derek helped us get organized for an interprofessional simulation we are doing Monday.  He even went to maintenance and had them help put together a fake belly for the Sim.  It has been powerful having him with me on so many levels for both of us.

We delivered many of the shoes I bought and colouring books to the children's ward at the hospital yesterday.  I cannot describe with enough emotion some of the scenes I witnessed  yesterday.  The children in the burn unit getting dressing changes without enough pain relief....gut wrenching.  The little boy with the fractured arm needed you Liane.  He was 2 days post op from ortho surgery and was having trouble breathing.  They were trying to get ENT to come and see him to check the vocal cords.  He was being so brave.

I was able to deliver the letter to Mediatrice, my nursing colleague here at the hospital inviting to her a Global Surgery conference in Halifax in June.  That was a very happy moment.  She will be doing a presentation at the conference with Jocelyne and I.  

Off to Akagera National Park tomorrow to see some giraffes, zebra and if we are lucky elephants and lions.
Then a big week working at the hospital.

As we deliver our supplies we thank all of you in the ways you helped on this trip.  It all goes a long, long way and the gratitude from the Rwandans is endless.

xo michelle




Christophe shopping at the local market

1 comment:

  1. A special Happy Birthday to Patty. Have a great celebration and a wonderful trip to the national park!

    ReplyDelete