Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Finally, a blog post from Mat!!!!

Oh, hey!  I didn’t see you there. Please come in. Welcome to my blog post. Firstly, Patty has taught me a lot over the first week I have been there. Not so much about how to survive in Rwanda (that’s pretty easy->Serena Hotel)  Her teaching has been about communication. Let me give you an example (completely hypothetical of course), there is this concept called “graded assertiveness’. This is a kind of education jargon.  It was hard for me to understand this at first; but, it goes something like this:

On the plane here
Patty:  “ Mat maybe you could think about blogging”
Mat: “Haha yeah maybe”

At the apartment on the first night
Patty: “ Mat you should really think about blogging it’s a great way to keep in touch with friends”
Mat:  “ I generally prefer to use email and text!”

At the Serena hotel at the end of the first week
Patty: “Mat take your computer out and blog”
Mat: “ yes mom”

And here we are. 

Rwanda has DEVELOPED since I was last here in 2008. There are large parts of the city I barely recognize. Many more roads are paved and there is construction everywhere.
We went to the military hospital today and the renovations are impressive! I particularly like the pediatric wards. Bright green walls with murals of my child hood favorites. Mickey and Minnie, Tintin and the best is 2 kids playing video games. I was particularly happy to see that Barney and Dora were excluded-both way overrated. The glaring omission was of course the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. No peds center is perfect. At the IWK we have a giant T-Rex with sharp teeth chasing a butterfly. Oh and a bee with an enormous stinger.   
Anyway, sometimes it seems the change of pace is slow, but it is happening. I believe change is easier to see when there are large gaps in time before returning.  I can only imagine what Rwanda will look like in another 6 years.
I hope it will not be so long before my next visit!

First blog entry of my life complete. 


A C-arm in the ER

Neonatal ICU



Pediatric ward
Jeanne, Willy, Christian and Jerome -pain management planning 

No comments:

Post a Comment