Tuesday, January 28, 2014

unstoppable

My illness in the past few days and sagging energy has caused me to think (yet again) of a succession plan.  Which of you out there will take over for me?  I can hang in a few more years but I'm getting tired.  These thoughts come forward when I've had a few days of no appetite and very little eating.  However, I just jumped in the pool and managed a very decent swim, so feel refreshed.

Mat and I are off to Butare tomorrow.  I'm already prompted him that the food options are extremely limited, other than delicious ice cream at Inzozi Niziza.  We plan to stock up on nuts, crackers and peanut butter at Nakumatt tomorrow to sustain life for the next few days.

Michelle is on her way to the airport.  It will be wonderful to have her bright, perky energy with us in Rwanda.  We miss Sender and his great sense of humour.

Michelle will join Mat and me on Friday for a couple days in Nyungwe Forest.  I've been there each visit to Rwanda and love the peace of the rainforest.

xo
Patty

And now from Mat....


Hello friends,

Today was the first time in my life I have independently attempted to give an oral exam to a resident. It was strange. I am giving oral exams to a resident that out ranks me in years of service… but anyhow.
The case was a fairly simple peds case with no major complications. The resident went on and on and on about all the things they wanted to know and all the investigations that may be required.  For the most part everything he was saying was correct, but a lot of it was unnecessary details.  In the end the resident did not finish the question in the allotted time, but still got the major points of the question.
It turns out this resident was the opposite of me during my first oral exam attempt.
Dr. Bird told me after my first oral : “ Mat, I think you have a great approach to the oral exam style and when you actually know something about anesthesia you will be great at this!!” (That was a complaburn).
It seems my Rwandan colleague has the opposite problem.
Together we will be unstoppable!


Otherwise my major lesson of the day: Motos are dangerous. I almost reconsidered my motorcycle ownership.  But then I thought I might be overreacting. And of course I am... Motos  are perfectly safe…

Later 




No comments:

Post a Comment