Monday, January 27, 2014

respect

I've been thinking a lot about what makes teaching work in the Rwandan context.  It's easy to come and think you are a big expert and you should just tell people what to do.  That fails miserably.  In fact, most people don't really like being told what to do.  Most people don't like you droning on with blah, blah, blah.

So what works? First of all, respectful relationships that are developed over time.  This is my seventh time to Rwanda but I still feel my understanding of the local culture is very limited.  It makes a big difference to know my Rwandan colleagues are comfortable speaking honestly to me about what might work or what might not work.  I trust them for guidance.

Active learning.  The interactive case discussions in the morning and simulation sessions in the afternoon have worked splendidly.  We go back and forth between theory and practice.  The residents have a chance to perform well or make mistakes in a safe learning environment.

Empowerment and validation.  When our colleagues are given the chance to teach, they rise to the occasion.  Each time I visit, I'm trying to pull back a little more so that the locals fill in.  Willy did a fantastic session for the techs, residents and staff this morning on role definition.  He's an awesome speaker who engages the whole room.  This is so much better than me standing up and saying the same thing.

Mat nearly had a heart attack when I showed him four ultrasound machines that have mysteriously arrived in the sim centre.  In no time flat, he was having the residents echo his heart.


Francoise performing capably in sim

Christian giving the morning lecture

Mat can't believe the ultrasound machines

Mat's heart

No comments:

Post a Comment